How do I submit a bill to Medicare?

In almost all cases, if you are enrolled in a Medicare Advantage plan, you will not have to worry about submitting bills to Medicare. However, if you are enrolled in Original Medicare or Medicare and a Medicare Supplement, there can be times you need to file a claim for Medicare reimbursement. If you do, these are the steps you will need to take:

  1. Complete a Medicare form 1490s, “Patient’s Request for Medical Payment.”
  2. Include an itemized bill from the provider with the following information: the date and place of service, a description and charge for each service, your diagnosis, and the name and address of the doctor who provided the service.
  3. Send the form and the itemized bill to your local Medicare contractor. You can find the appropriate local contractor here on the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services website.

You will need to submit your information within one calendar year of receiving care for it to be considered for payment. For any questions about the form or who is the correct local Medicare contractor, you can call 1-800-MEDICARE for assistance.

Call us with your Medicare Questions at (858) 753-7000 - We Make Make Medicare Easy !

Scroll to Top

Ask a Bridlewood

San Diego's Best Medicare Insurance Provider
Best Medicare Insurance in San Diego