What happens to my Medicare coverage if I move out of state?

If you move out of state and have Original Medicare, you don’t need to make any changes. If you have a Medicare Advantage or Part-D plan, in most cases, you will have to switch plans to one offered in the state of your new residence. Moving out of your current plans service area, will qualify you for a Special Enrollment Period (SEP) that will allow you to switch plans outside of the Annual Enrollment Period.

If you are enrolled in a Medicare Supplement plan as long as you move from one state to another but stay within the country, you should be able to keep your current Medicare Supplement plan. Assuming your plan is available in your new zip code. However, if you’re moving to Massachusetts, Wisconsin, or Minnesota, which have standardized plans unique to their states, you may have to switch plans.

Call us with your Medicare Questions at (858) 753-7000 - We Make Make Medicare Easy !

Scroll to Top

Ask a Bridlewood

San Diego's Best Medicare Insurance Provider
Best Medicare Insurance in San Diego